December 31, 2016
Here’s what HILOBROW published in October, November, and December 2016!
We’re very grateful to new HILOBROW contributors Brandi Brown, John Overholt, James Hannaham, and Roxane Gay; as well as to all of our regular contributors.
During the last three months of the year, we wrapped up GROK MY ENTHUSIASM, a year-long weekly series of enthusiastic posts contributed by HILOBROW friends and regulars.
Here are GROK’s 4Q2016 installments.
Josh Glenn edited the GROK MY ENTHUSIASM series. In 2017, stay tuned for a new weekly enthusiasm series: #SQUADGOALS!
NERD YOUR ENTHUSIASM (4Q2021): NERDING | ARDUIN | KLINGON CONFIDENTIAL | MAP INSERTS | TIME | & 20 other nerdy passions. SWERVE YOUR ENTHUSIASM (3Q2021): WARHOL’S WALT WHITMAN | 70, GIRLS, 70 | TYRAEL’S MIGHT | SHIRATO SANPEI | THE LEON SUITES | & 20 other never-realized cultural productions. FIVE-O YOUR ENTHUSIASM (2Q2021): DARK SHADOWS | MANNIX | GET SMART | THE ADDAMS FAMILY | I DREAM OF JEANNIE | & 20 other Sixties (1964–1973) TV shows. FERB YOUR ENTHUSIASM (1Q2021): STEVEN UNIVERSE | TOP CAT | REN & STIMPY | SHE-RA AND THE PRINCESSES OF POWER | DRAGON BALL Z | & 20 other animated series. CARBONA YOUR ENTHUSIASM (2020): “Sex Bomb” | “Going Underground” | “Soft South Africans” | “Typical Girls” | “Human Fly” | & 20 other Seventies (1974–1983) punk singles. KLAATU YOU (2020 weekly): ZARDOZ | METROPOLIS | DARK STAR | SINS OF THE FLESHAPOIDS | SOLARIS | & dozens of other pre-STAR WARS sci-fi movies. CONVOY YOUR ENTHUSIASM (2019): THE TAKING OF PELHAM ONE TWO THREE | ROLLERBALL | BLACK SUNDAY | SORCERER | STRAIGHT TIME | & 20 other Seventies (1974–1983) action movies. SERIOCOMIC (2019 weekly): LITTLE LULU | VIZ | MARSUPILAMI | ERNIE POOK’S COMEEK | HELLBOY | & dozens of other comics. TUBE YOUR ENTHUSIASM (2018): LOONEY TUNES | THREE STOOGES | THE AVENGERS | ROCKY & BULLWINKLE | THE TWILIGHT ZONE | & 20 other Fifties (1954–1963) TV shows. WOWEE ZOWEE (2018 weekly): UNISEX | UNDER THE PINK | DUMMY | AMOR PROHIBIDO | HIPS AND MAKERS | & dozens of other Nineties (1994–2003) albums. KLUTE YOUR ENTHUSIASM (2017): THE KILLERS | BANDE À PART (BAND OF OUTSIDERS) | ALPHAVILLE | HARPER | BLOW-UP | & 20 other Sixties (1964–1973) neo-noir movies. #SQUADGOALS (2017 weekly): THE WILD BUNCH | BOWIE’S BAND | THE BLOOMSBURY GROUP | THE HONG KONG CAVALIERS | VI ÄR BÄST! & dozens of other squads. GROK MY ENTHUSIASM (2016 weekly): THE THEORY AND PRACTICE OF LUNCH | WEEKEND | MILLION YEAR PICNIC | LA BARONNE EMILE D’ERLANGER | THE SURVIVAL SAMPLER | & dozens more one-off enthusiasms. QUIRK YOUR ENTHUSIASM (2016): “Tainted Love” | “Metal” | “Frankie Teardrop” | “Savoir Faire” | “Broken English” | & 20 other Seventies (1974–1983) new wave singles. CROM YOUR ENTHUSIASM (2015): DARKER THAN YOU THINK | THE SWORD IN THE STONE | OUT OF THE SILENT PLANET | THIEVES’ HOUSE | QUEEN OF THE BLACK COAST | & 20 other Thirties (1934–1943) fantasy novels. KERN YOUR ENTHUSIASM (2014): ALDINE ITALIC | DATA 70 | TORONTO SUBWAY | JOHNSTON’S “HAMLET” | TODD KLONE | & 20 other typefaces. HERC YOUR ENTHUSIASM (2013): “Spoonin’ Rap” | “Rapper’s Delight” | “Rappin’ Blow” | “The Incredible Fulk” | “The Adventures of Super Rhyme” | & 20 other Seventies (1974–1983) hip-hop songs. KIRK YOUR ENTHUSIASM (2012): Justice or vengeance? | Kirk teaches his drill thrall to kiss | “KHAAAAAN!” | “No kill I” | Kirk browbeats NOMAD | & 20 other Captain Kirk scenes. KIRB YOUR ENTHUSIASM (2011): THE ETERNALS | BLACK MAGIC | DEMON | OMAC | CAPTAIN AMERICA | & 20 other Jack Kirby panels.
Throughout 2016, Adam McGovern’s semi-memoiristic, semi-culture-critical, always insightful column, THIS:, appeared weekly. Here’s the 4Q2016 lineup.
MORE POSTS by ADAM McGOVERN: OFF-TOPIC (2019–2023 monthly) | textshow (2018 quarterly) | PANEL ZERO (comics-related Q&As, 2018 monthly) | THIS: (2016–2017 weekly) | PEOPLE YOU MEET IN HELL, a 5-part series about characters in McGovern’s and Paolo Leandri’s comic Nightworld | Two IDORU JONES comics by McGovern and Paolo Leandri | BOWIEOLOGY: Celebrating 50 years of Bowie | ODD ABSURDUM: How Felix invented the 21st century self | CROM YOUR ENTHUSIASM: C.L. Moore’s JIREL OF JOIRY stories | KERN YOUR ENTHUSIASM: Data 70 | HERC YOUR ENTHUSIASM: “Freedom” | KIRK YOUR ENTHUSIASM: Captain Camelot | KIRB YOUR ENTHUSIASM: Full Fathom Five | A 5-part series on Jack Kirby’s Fourth World mythos | Reviews of Annie Nocenti’s comics Katana, Catwoman, Klarion, and Green Arrow | The curated series FANCHILD | To see all of Adam’s posts, including HiLo Hero items on Lilli Carré, Judy Garland, Wally Wood, and others: CLICK HERE
Each month, during 4Q2016, HILOBROW friend and contributor Lynn Peril published a new installment in the series PLANET OF PERIL, which is devoted to Lynn’s favorite obscure historical fads and figures.
Here are PLANET OF PERIL’s three 4Q2016 installments.
- SPALINGRAD: Health Resorts of the USSR.
- UNESCORTED WOMEN: A brief history of women drinking in public.
- OFFICE PARTY: “Drinking, stripping, and indulging in hanky-panky.”
PLANET OF PERIL: THE SHIFTERS | THE CONTROL OF CANDY JONES | VINCE TAYLOR | THE SECRET VICE | LADY HOOCH HUNTER | LINCOLN ASSASSINATION BUFFS | I’M YOUR VENUS | THE DARK MARE | SPALINGRAD | UNESCORTED WOMEN | OFFICE PARTY | I CAN TEACH YOU TO DANCE | WEARING THE PANTS | LIBERATION CAN BE TOUGH ON A WOMAN | MALT TONICS | OPERATION HIDEAWAY | TELEPHONE BARS | BEAUTY A DUTY | THE FIRST THRIFT SHOP | MEN IN APRONS | VERY PERSONALLY YOURS | FEMININE FOREVER | “MY BOSS IS A RATHER FLIRTY MAN” | IN LIKE FLYNN | ARM HAIR SHAME | THE ROYAL ORDER OF THE FLAPPER | THE GHOST WEEPS | OLD MAID | LADIES WHO’LL LUSH | PAMPERED DOGS OF PARIS | MIDOL vs. MARTYRDOM | GOOD MANNERS ARE FOR SISSIES | I MUST DECREASE MY BUST | WIPE OUT | ON THE SIDELINES | THE JAZZ MANIAC | THE GREAT HAIRCUT CRISIS | DOMESTIC HANDS | SPORTS WATCHING 101 | SPACE SECRETARY | THE CAVE MAN LOVER | THE GUIDE ESCORT SERVICE | WHO’S GUILTY? | PEACHES AND DADDY | STAG SHOPPING.
MORE LYNN PERIL at HILOBROW: PLANET OF PERIL series | #SQUADGOALS: The Daly Sisters | KLUTE YOUR ENTHUSIASM: BLOW-UP | MUSEUM OF FEMORIBILIA series | HERMENAUTIC TAROT: The Waiting Man | KIRB YOUR ENTHUSIASM: Young Romance | CROM YOUR ENTHUSIASM: Fritz Leiber’s Conjure Wife | HILO HERO ITEMS on: Tura Satana, Paul Simonon, Vivienne Westwood, Lucy Stone, Lydia Lunch, Gloria Steinem, Gene Vincent, among many others.
In October, Tom Nealon’s first book, Food Fights and Culture Wars: A Secret History of Taste, was published (in the UK) by the British Library! In March, the US edition will hit bookshelves.
Food Fights and Culture Wars grew out of Tom’s HILOBROW food-history series, STUFFED. Hooray!
Here are 4Q2016’s three STUFFED installments.
- REVUE DES MENUS (DEUX): Transatlantic liner menus — from the 1940s and 1950s.
- WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE: Its secret origins.
- THE THICKENING: How (and why) did liquid foodstuffs get so viscous?
STUFFED SERIES: THE MAGAZINE OF TASTE | AUGURIES AND PIGNOSTICATIONS | THE CATSUP WAR | CAVEAT CONDIMENTOR | CURRIE CONDIMENTO | POTATO CHIPS AND DEMOCRACY | PIE SHAPES | WHEY AND WHEY NOT | PINK LEMONADE | EUREKA! MICROWAVES | CULINARY ILLUSIONS | AD SALSA PER ASPERA | THE WAR ON MOLE | ALMONDS: NO JOY | GARNISHED | REVUE DES MENUS | REVUE DES MENUS (DEUX) | WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE | THE THICKENING | TRUMPED | CHILES EN MOVIMIENTO | THE GREAT EATER OF KENT | GETTING MEDIEVAL WITH CHEF WATSON | KETCHUP & DIJON | TRY THE SCROD | MOCK VENISON | THE ROMANCE OF BUTCHERY | I CAN HAZ YOUR TACOS | STUFFED TURKEY | BREAKING GINGERBREAD | WHO ATE WHO? | LAYING IT ON THICK | MAYO MIXTURES | MUSICAL TASTE | ELECTRIFIED BREADCRUMBS | DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION | THE ISLAND OF LOST CONDIMENTS | FLASH THE HASH | BRUNSWICK STEW: B.S. | FLASH THE HASH, pt. 2 | THE ARK OF THE CONDIMENT | SQUEEZED OUT | SOUP v. SANDWICH | UNNATURAL SELECTION | HI YO, COLLOIDAL SILVER | PROTEIN IN MOTION | GOOD RIDDANCE TO RESTAURANTS.
During 4Q2016, we wrapped up a year-long cycle of poems, by HILOBROW friend and contributor James Parker. Obscene, violent, hilarious, Parker’s THE KALEVALA respectfully bastardized portions of a Finnish sequence of folkloric songs, runes, and charms. We hope to publish James’s bastardizations in pamphlet form. We also hope that, some day in the not too distant future, he will tackle the entire sequence!
Here are 4Q2016’s three KALEVALA installments.
- “The Cowherd”: “Damn these clanging udders!/Damn these muscular shudders!”
- “Joukahainen’s Mother Counsels Him Against Shooting the Wizard Vainamoinen”: “I see you with your crossbow cocked,/and your intellect murderously locked.”
- “The Cows Come Home”: “Her head fills with words/which curdle into curds/which turdle into turds.”
KALEVALA SERIES: RUNE 3 (1–278): “Wizard Battle” | RUNE 4 (1–56): “A Failed Seduction” | RUNE 4 (300–416): “Aino Ends It All” | RUNE 5 (45–139): “An Afternoon Upon the Water” | RUNE 5 (150–241): “The Blue Elk” | RUNE 6 (1–114): “Therapy Session” | RUNE 6 (115–130): “Joukahainen’s Mother Counsels Him Against Shooting the Wizard Vainamoinen” | RUNE 11 (1–138): “Introducing Kyllikki” | RUNE 23 (485–580): “The Bride’s Lament” | RUNE 30 (1–276): “Icebound” | RUNE 30 (120–188): “The Voyage of the Sea-Hare” (Part One) | RUNE 30 (185–188): “Losing It” | RUNE 31 (215–225): “The Babysitter” | RUNE 31 (223–300): “The Screaming Axe” | RUNE 33 (1–136): “The Cowherd” | RUNE 33 (73): “Song of the Blade: Kullervo” | RUNE 33 (118–284): “The Cows Come Home” | RUNE 34 (1–82): “The Pipes of Kullervo”.
During 4Q2016, HILOBROW friend and contributor Alix Lambert published two final installments in her 8-part series SÉRIE NOIRE, which revisits the crime movies that most influenced her when she was a child and young adult.
- The Bad Seed (1956), directed by Mervyn LeRoy. Do we inherit traits genetically or are we products of our environment?
- Joe (1970), directed by John G. Avildsen. White male hatred and anger, still very much on display.
Here are 4Q2016’s two installments.
SÉRIE NOIRE SERIES: The Chalk Garden (1964) | I Confess (1952) | In the Heat of the Night (1967) | The Return of Martin Guerre (1982) | Wanda (1970) | Sorry, Wrong Number (1948) | The Bad Seed (1956) | Joe (1970).
During 4Q2016, we wrapped up a year-long cycle of poems, by HILOBROW friend and contributor James Parker, inspired by scenes from the Jason Bourne movie franchise. Thrilling, witty, mythomaniacal, THE BOURNE VARIATIONS are a triumph of film criticism and fanfic.
Here are 4Q2016’s three BOURNE VARIATIONS installments.
- “The Graduates”. “Economical huffings,/elbow-strikes and de-handcuffings.”
- “The Murder of Agent Daniel Zorn, in Berlin, by CIA Section Chief Ward Abbott”. “You said the wrong/right thing and his face went stony.”
- “Full Priority Situation”: “Who’s onscreen? Pull him up. It’s Jason Bourne.”
BOURNE VARIATIONS SERIES: “The Goddess of Memory Speaks to Jason Bourne” | THE BOURNE IDENTITY: “The Duellists”. THE BOURNE SUPREMACY: “Congratulations, You Have Just Met Jason Bourne” | “The Graduates” | “The Murder of Agent Daniel Zorn, in Berlin, by CIA Section Chief Ward Abbott”. THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM: “Big Daddy” | “The Assassination of the Journalist Simon Ross” | “Full Priority Situation”. THE BOURNE LEGACY: “Alaska, Alone” | “Aaron Cross to the Wolf” | “Fairy Story”. JASON BOURNE: “Watching the Jason Bourne Trailer” | “The Bourne Travesty”.
During October, we wrapped up our 15-part serialization of a section of Nietzsche’s lost graphic novel, On Beyond Zarathustra. According to John Holbo, who discovered this amazing treasure, Nietzche’s text prompts us to ask, about the later prose-poem Thus Spake Zarathustra: Do the townspeople ignore Zarathustra because his proposed transvaluation of values is too radical? Or is it because, like Dr. Seuss’s Gerald McGrew or Morris McGurk, he tends to rattle on and spiral off? HiLobrow was the first to publish these never-before-seen extracts!
We also published an explanatory essay by John Holbo, “On Beyond Zarathustra: A Double-Parody For All And None.” Excerpt: “Just as Seuss books are children’s books for adults, so Zarathustra — and other philosophy I might mention — is seeming YA fiction, secretly written as non-fiction for older adults. Who are, in a sense, true children at heart.” Another HILOBROW exclusive!
HOLBO AT HILOBROW: On Beyond Zarathustra — a double parody | Sugarplum Squeampunk — Christmas cards by deranged Victorian “cthuligrapher” Albert Wedge-Wheskit | Not Trash, Pop — a celebration of forgotten midcentury gag panel artist Susi Steinitz Ettinger | CROM YOUR ENTHUSIASM: The Conan Mythos | HERMENAUTIC TAROT: The Heaviest Heads.
During 4Q2016, we published new installments in the following original series.
- BEST ADVENTURES — a series chronicling Josh Glenn’s attempt to read and identify the 10 best adventure novels of each year, from 1904 through 1983. During 4Q2016, we published: 10 Best Adventures of 1906, 10 Best Adventures of 1911, 10 Best Adventures of 1917 (partial), 10 Best Adventures of 1967, 10 Best Adventures of 1976, and 10 Best Adventures of 1981.
- GOLDEN AGE SCI-FI 75 — a series chronicling Josh Glenn’s attempt to read and identify the best sci-fi novels published during the genre’s so-called Golden Age (1934–63). THANKS! to Boing Boing, for directing lots of sci-fi fans to the completed list. During 4Q2016, we wrapped up this series with installments that included, among others: William Burrough’s Naked Lunch (1959), Kurt Vonnegut’s The Sirens of Titan (1959), Walter M. Millers’s A Canticle for Leibowitz (1960), Stan Lee and Jack Kirby’s The Fantastic Four (Nov. 1961–on), Robert Heinlein’s Stranger in a Strange Land (1961), Stanislaw Lem’s Solaris (1961), Philip K. Dick’s The Man in the High Castle (1962), and Thomas Pynchon’s V. (1963), among others. The complete Golden Age Sci-Fi 75 list is here.
- JOSHENILIA — a series exhuming the juvenilia and significant objects, no matter how trite or embarrassing, of HILOBROW’s editor.
JOSH GLENN’S *BEST ADVENTURES* LISTS: BEST 250 ADVENTURES OF THE 20TH CENTURY | 100 BEST OUGHTS ADVENTURES | 100 BEST RADIUM AGE (PROTO-)SCI-FI ADVENTURES | 100 BEST TEENS ADVENTURES | 100 BEST TWENTIES ADVENTURES | 100 BEST THIRTIES ADVENTURES | 75 BEST GOLDEN AGE SCI-FI ADVENTURES | 100 BEST FORTIES ADVENTURES | 100 BEST FIFTIES ADVENTURES | 100 BEST SIXTIES ADVENTURES | 75 BEST NEW WAVE SCI FI ADVENTURES | 100 BEST SEVENTIES ADVENTURES | 100 BEST EIGHTIES ADVENTURES | 75 BEST DIAMOND AGE SCI-FI ADVENTURES | 100 BEST NINETIES ADVENTURES (in progress) | 1994 | 1995 | 1996 | 1997 | 1998 | 1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | NOTES ON 21st-CENTURY ADVENTURES.
We curated the following reprint series, during 4Q2016. We are very grateful to the authors, all of whom are HILOBROW friends and contributors, for permitting us to gather and republish their work.
- ALL MY STARS. As we have done since the beginning of the year, each week, we reprinted Joanne McNeil’s ALL MY STARS newsletter — which tracks and reacts to her latest media and exhibition input.
- AMERICA OBSCURA. The legendary Andrew Hultkrans allowed us unparalleled access to his archives. We republished several pieces of his brilliant journalism — extracted from the archives of print and online publications.
- MONSTOBER. HILOBROW friend and contributor Rick Pinchera’s 2016 InkTober series — a drawing a day, during the month of October — was dedicated to those monsters that scared and amused him most when he was growing up in the ’80s.
- HEATHCLIFF, FOR WHY? The Andy Kaufman-like anti-comedy antics of Heathcliff have nonplussed newspaper funny pages readers since 1973. Brandi Brown investigated.
- 12 MORE DAYS OF SIGNIFICANCE: A holiday-season series of posts reprinting stories written — by 12 HILOBROW contributors — for the 2009–2010 Significant Objects project, which was co-edited by Josh Glenn. Contributors: Annalee Newitz, Cintra Wilson, Jen Collins, Joanne McNeil, Jonathan Lethem, Sarah Weinman, Shelley Jackson, Barbara Bogaev, Dan Reines, Jenny Offill, Katie Hennessey, James Hannaham.
CURATED SERIES at HILOBROW: UNBORED CANON by Josh Glenn | CARPE PHALLUM by Patrick Cates | MS. K by Heather Kasunick | HERE BE MONSTERS by Mister Reusch | DOWNTOWNE by Bradley Peterson | #FX by Michael Lewy | PINNED PANELS by Zack Smith | TANK UP by Tony Leone | OUTBOUND TO MONTEVIDEO by Mimi Lipson | TAKING LIBERTIES by Douglas Wolk | STERANKOISMS by Douglas Wolk | MARVEL vs. MUSEUM by Douglas Wolk | NEVER BEGIN TO SING by Damon Krukowski | WTC WTF by Douglas Wolk | COOLING OFF THE COMMOTION by Chenjerai Kumanyika | THAT’S GREAT MARVEL by Douglas Wolk | LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE by Chris Spurgeon | IMAGINARY FRIENDS by Alexandra Molotkow | UNFLOWN by Jacob Covey | ADEQUATED by Franklin Bruno | QUALITY JOE by Joe Alterio | CHICKEN LIT by Lisa Jane Persky | PINAKOTHEK by Luc Sante | ALL MY STARS by Joanne McNeil | BIGFOOT ISLAND by Michael Lewy | NOT OF THIS EARTH by Michael Lewy | ANIMAL MAGNETISM by Colin Dickey | KEEPERS by Steph Burt | AMERICA OBSCURA by Andrew Hultkrans | HEATHCLIFF, FOR WHY? by Brandi Brown | DAILY DRUMPF by Rick Pinchera | BEDROOM AIRPORT by “Parson Edwards” | INTO THE VOID by Charlie Jane Anders | WE REABSORB & ENLIVEN by Matthew Battles | BRAINIAC by Joshua Glenn | COMICALLY VINTAGE by Comically Vintage | BLDGBLOG by Geoff Manaugh | WINDS OF MAGIC by James Parker | MUSEUM OF FEMORIBILIA by Lynn Peril | ROBOTS + MONSTERS by Joe Alterio | MONSTOBER by Rick Pinchera | POP WITH A SHOTGUN by Devin McKinney | FEEDBACK by Joshua Glenn | 4CP FTW by John Hilgart | ANNOTATED GIF by Kerry Callen | FANCHILD by Adam McGovern | BOOKFUTURISM by James Bridle | NOMADBROW by Erik Davis | SCREEN TIME by Jacob Mikanowski | FALSE MACHINE by Patrick Stuart | 12 DAYS OF SIGNIFICANCE | 12 MORE DAYS OF SIGNIFICANCE | 12 DAYS OF SIGNIFICANCE (AGAIN) | ANOTHER 12 DAYS OF SIGNIFICANCE | UNBORED MANIFESTO by Joshua Glenn and Elizabeth Foy Larsen | H IS FOR HOBO by Joshua Glenn | 4CP FRIDAY by guest curators
On to 1Q2017!